The ideal supper for a chilly April evening
Cauliflower Gratin with Red Onion Marmalade
Write a review
- 1 Head of Irish Cauliflower
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 2 Tbs Plain Flour
- 2 Cups of Milk or 1 Cup of Milk & 1 Cup of Stock
- ½ Cup of Grated Cheese – of your choice
- ¼ Cup of Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Dessert spoons of Janet’s Country Fayre Red Onion Marmalade
- Turn on the oven to 180 degrees
- Remove the outer leaves of the cauliflower and cut off the base stalk. Leave the cauliflower whole.
- With a sharp knife score the base of the cauliflower.
- Put the whole cauliflower into a steamer and steam until almost soft but not soggy !!
- Remove from the steamer and place in an oven proof serving dish.
For the sauce
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan on top of stove.
- Add flour and stir until well mixed and bubbly being careful not to scorch.
- Remove from heat and add milk / stock; stirring with a small balloon whisk until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the heat and gently bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, add shredded cheese and parmesan and cook until cheese melts.
- The stir in the Red Onion Marmalade.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower. Add a generous sprinkle of grated cheese on top.
- Pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy !
- I often add some cooked lardons of bacon into the sauce. Try O’Neill’s from Wexford
Janets Country Fayre https://www.janetscountryfayre.com/